This morning I discovered that I completely missed the two organic Honeycrisp apples in the bottom of the
big Ikea fruit bowl. Poor things - the had been covered over by the bananas, pears and cara cara oranges.
Well, they were two wrinkled to eat and they would not have made enough sauce to feed a baby if I had one.
The only thing to do was to turn them into this delectable bread. There is something so old fashioned and comforting about this loaf cake. It reminds me of my step grandmother's apple cake - it was baked in a 9x13" pan and iced with a boiled cider icing.
The loaf version is a little lighter on oil and sugar - the cinnamon sugar stands in for the icing.
Enjoy a thick slice with a mug of steaming coffee or tea. It is also perfect to brighten up a packed lunch
Cinnamon Apple Loaf
Yield: one loaf
Oven: 350 degrees
Pan Prep: Grease or spray an 8 ½”x 4” loaf pan and line the long side with parchment paper.
The paper should extend over the edge of the pan by 1”.
1 ½ cups +1 tablespoon (6.75 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cups (5 ¼ ounces) sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons (1 ½ ounces) melted butter
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 apples, peeled and cut into small dice or grated
Optional: ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Topping: Cinnamon sugar (1/2 cup sugar + 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, melted butter, vanilla and eggs until smooth and light in color – about 2 minutes.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix only until they are combined.
4. Add apples and optional nuts.
5. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
7. Bake for one hour – check the center with a skewer or cake tester.
8. If the cake tester does not come out clean – then bake for an additional 7 minutes and check again.
9. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a rack
This loaf freezes beautifully - up to one month.