Were you like me? All i wanted to see was the cake? Yes, the dress was important and the event was lovely but what was the cake going to look like....
We had know for a while that the flavors were elderflower and lemon.
The cake was baked by Claire Ptak of Violet Bakery in London. I started thinking about elderflowers as soon as the announcement was made. Now we don't have lots of elderflowers here in the states - but they are all over the UK and in Canada too. Wasn't there an elderflower cordial in Anne of Green Gables...? Sorry I digress. Here in the states, they are grown in Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I hope they planted more elderflower bushes.
Elderflower will be big throughout the summer. Royal wedding trends tend to hang on for a while. Here is a recipe for Elderflower cordial, which can be used straight as a soaking syrup for cakes, added to buttercream or crafted into cocktails.
For my macaron bakers, you will need elderflower extract and that is available through the Amoretti Store, here is the link:
There are essences available too but I have yet to try them. if you do make sure they are water based. - you could also use St Germain elderflower liqueur to flavor your shells. No more then 1/2 - 1 teaspoon.
Here is how to make your own elderflower cordial - it makes 4 cups. Please watch the Ingredient function Friday episode on Elderflowers to learn more and see the how to demo.
Equipment: medium saucepan, whisk, scale, 4 cup mason jar (cleaned and sterilized) with screw top or clamp lid, bowl and strainer. Plus, decorative bottles, funnel and strainer.
- 16 ounces water (454g)
- 14 ounces granulated sugar (397)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 pint of elderflowers (4-5) ounces or 8 ounces dried
- 2 teaspoons citric acid** helps the cordial not get cloudy.
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk to dissolve sugar, let it come up to a low boil and turn down heat.
- If using fresh elderflowers, swish in a bowl of cool water to remove and bugs, dirt or dust.
- Place flowers in mason jar, add lemon slices and citric acid.
- Pour hot simple syrup over flower, lemon slices and citric acid.
- Fill to the top, leave a small bit of headspace to close lid and place in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours.
- Strain the elderflower cordial into well washed decorative bottles and seal. Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.