This is the recipe goes with Ingredient Function Friday, Episode 7, Baking with Cranberries. This is a delicious orange scented, cranberry filled buttery sweet cake. I refined the recipe a few years ago for a holiday baking class at Great News Cooking School in San Diego. Great News is now closed and I know it is sorely missed. I know I miss it.
As I said in the video, pick up an extra bag or two of cranberries and freeze them. You can make this cake now and in the spring or summer - just for fun. Let me know if you have questions.
Until next week. Happy Baking! Colette
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- Spoon or heat proof spatula
- Stand Mixer or Hand Held Mixer
- Sifter 9” cake pan greased with pan spread or pan spray and lined with parchment paper, grease that too.
- 2 cups (9 ounces) 255g Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) 57g orange juice
- 3/4 cup (5 ounces) 142g brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour. .5 ounces, 15g flour
- In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, orange juice, sugar and flour. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. The cranberries should be popped. Set aside to cool and then pour into the bottom of the cake pan. Make cake batter. Turn oven to 350 degrees.
- 16 Tablespoons, 8 ounces, 227g unsalted butter
- 1 cup (7 ounces), (198g) sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups, 8.25 ounces, 234g all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup, 4 ounces, (113g) sour cream
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand held mixer, cream the butter, sugar, orange zest and vanilla extract (or bean paste) until light and fluffy on medium speed (4-5 on a 10 speed KitchenAid). Stop the mixer and scrape down often.
- Add the eggs in two increments, mix for about 25 - 40 seconds before adding the second increment.
- ift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the sour cream to the batter.
- Mix only until the ingredients disappear. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter over the cranberry topping, tap the pan and smooth out the surface.
- Bake the cake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before un molding onto a serving platter. Carefully peel off the parchment paper from the cranberry topping. The cake has to be still warm when un molding or else the cranberries will stick to the parchment paper.
The cake can be made the day before. Store well wrapped at room temperature. If you want to serve it warm – refresh the cake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
Serve with Chantilly Cream or Ice Cream