Jamie, my wonderful Craftsy assistant and her husband are looking to become innkeepers in Oregon.
As a result, we talk a lot about what to bake for breakfast.
A B&B has to serve a good breakfast. Guests will never return if the offerings are mediocre - no matter how charming the rooms, the view, the location and the innkeepers.
Success depends on a good collection of recipes and menu items should highlight the local fare.
Today's recipe is one for Jamie's new venture.
Both pears and hazelnuts are grown, harvested and processed close to their new B&B.
So this recipe is perfect for them.
As a side note Jamie's grandmother worked for Harry and David for many years - running
the pear division.
If you don't have a hazelnuts nearby these muffins are equal delicious with pecans or walnuts.
Butter Topped Pear Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour (9 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces butter - melted and cooled
3/4 cup sugar (5 ounces)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large pears, peeled, cored and cut into medium (1/4" dice)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) finely chopped hazelnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon'
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
3 Tablespoons butter, melted and set aside
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin pan with paper liners or grease
the muffin cups with butter, shortening or pan spray.
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla - whisk until well combined.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients just until the dry ingredients disappear.
4. Mix in the pears and the hazelnuts.
5. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees - start checking at 25 minutes.
7. The muffins are done when a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
When the muffins are done - brush the muffin tops with melted butter and dip in the cinnamon sugar mix.
These muffins freeze beautifully.